Matthew E. CookPartner
Matt grew up in Northeast Georgia the son of a single mom. While he and his mother had very little worldly means, they had grit, determination and a commitment to decency and fairness. Matt’s upbringing gave him a healthy respect for hard work and for standing up for the underdog. Matt spent three years working in cotton mills and other manual labor jobs before graduating college and attending law school. After graduating law school, Matt joined a nationally renowned trial lawyer firm where he spent six years as an associate and five years as a partner handling a broad range of complex, catastrophic injury and death cases across the United States ranging from trucking collisions to product liability claims and everything in between. Matt is a frequent speaker at trial lawyer seminars, has published numerous articles and has served as an expert witness in several cases. Matt is an aviation enthusiast and has his private pilot's license. Matt’s unique style, genuine empathy, ability to relate to juries and fearlessness has led to hundreds of millions of dollars of recoveries for clients. Matt has secured more than $225 million for clients in just the past 10 years.
J.D., Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University, 1999
Member: Mercer Law Review, 1997-99; Brainerd Currie Honor Society. Recipient CALI Awards for Excellence: criminal law, statutory analysis, constitutional law, legal writing II and advanced legal research. Recipient of Thomas Ryals Foundation and Mercer Law School Merit Scholarships. Speaker: U.S. v. Mitchell: The Fifth Amendment at Sentencing, 49 Mercer L. Rev. 865 (1998); co-author: Trial Practice & Procedure, 51 Mercer L. Rev 487 (1999); Trial Practice & Procedure, 53 Mercer L. Rev 475 (2001). Member of American Bar Association, State Bar of Georgia, The American Association for Justice, and Georgia Trial Lawyers Association. Admitted to practice in Georgia.
B.A., Piedmont College, 1996
U.S. District Court, 2000
Middle District of Georgia
American Bar Association
The American Association for Justice
Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
E. Wycliffe Orr Inn of Court
Super Lawyers, 2011- Present
Invited to Join the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Cum Laude
- Brainerd Currie Honor Society
- Law Review: Mercer Law Review; member 1997-1999
- Piedmont College, Demorest, Georgia 1996; B.A.
Wrongful death and personal injury litigation representing injured victims and their families in cases arising from tractor-trailer wrecks, commercial vehicle collisions, car wrecks, workplace and construction accidents, premises liability, nursing home abuse/neglect, railroad accidents involving vehicles and pedestrians and defective products.
Trial Practice & Procedure (co-author), 51 Mercer L. Rev. 487, 1999; U.S. v. Mitchell: The Fifth Amendment at Sentencing, 49 Mercer L. Rev. 865, 1998; Trial Practice & Procedure (co-author), 52 Mercer L. Rev. 447, 2000; Trial Practice & Procedure (co-author), 53 Mercer L. Rev. 475, 2001; Voir Dire in Low Speed, Soft Tissue Injury Cases (co-author), The Verdict (Spring 2018)
- GTLA Annual Convention, Winning a Tractor Trailer Case Even When Things are Stacked Against You (2020);
- Colvin v. Lyndon Steel, Goldberg Trial Lawyer Breakfast, 2019;
- Relating to and Conditioning the Jury Through the Voir Dire Process – ICLE Seminar (2018)
- How to Get a $2.7 million Jury Verdict in a Low Speed, Herniated Disc Case, Goldberg Trial Lawyer Breakfast, 2018;
- Jury Trials in Cobb County, Cobb County Trial Lawyers Association, 2018;
- Goals and Approaches to Voir Dire, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Convention, 2018;
- ICLE Trial Practice, Voir Dire and Opening Statement (2016);
- Depositions: Who, When, Why and How? – ICLE Seminar (2016)
- ICLE Trial Practice, Depositions (2015);
- Trying a "Race" Case: Zero to $2.5 million in Four Days, Speaker, Trying a, Georgia ICLE, 2015;
- GTLA Auto Torts Seminar: Trucks, Trailers and Cars: Getting What You Need and Making the Most of What You Get (2014);
- Maximizing the Value of Cases Involving Drugs and Alcohol - ICLE Trial Advocacy Seminar (2013);
- Co-Chair: Commercial Vehicles - GTLA Annual Seminar (2012);
- Trying Cases in North Georgia - GTLA Auto Torts Workshop (2012);
- Winning At Trial: Persuasion through Preparation - GTLA Fall Workshop (2012);
- Personal Injury Cases, Best Verdicts: Pitts v. A&G Trucking;
- GTLA: Making Sure Your Hydroplaning Case is Watertight;
- AIEG: The Wolves at the Door: Dealing with Reimbursement Claims;
- GTLA: Identifying Defendants and Locating Sources for Client Recovery;
- Speaker, Co-Chair Trucking Seminar, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association - Annual Convention, 2012
Recipient of CALI Awards for Excellence: Criminal Law, Statutory Analysis, Constitutional Law, Legal Writing II & Advance Legal Research, 1996-1999. Recipient of Thomas Ryals Foundation and Mercer Law School Merit of Scholarships.